NPTEL Full Form
NPTEL (National Program for Enhanced Learning in Technology) is an online learning platform that offers quality education through online video and web courses in various disciplines. It is a project of MHRD (now the Ministry of Education) and an initiative of seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). NPTEL courses are offered in various categories, including engineering design, mathematics, physics, biotechnology, management, humanities and social sciences, and law. The lectures can be accessed through the Swayam portal or the official NPTEL website https://nptel.ac.in/
NPTEL is built on a huge platform of open online courses which can benefit a large audience at the same time. It started offering open online courses in 2014 along with certificates from IIT (IIT Bombay, Kharagpur, Madras, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Roorkee) and IISc to those who have successfully completed the course.
Course Cost And Conditions
There are no prerequisites or age limits to enroll and learn from NPTEL courses. However, there is an optional proctored certification test that you can take for a small fee (Rs 1,000 per course test) at the end of the course for IIT certifications.
Duration Of The Course
NPTEL courses are divided into three categories according to their duration:
4 week course
8 week course
12 week cycle
The content of NPTEL courses is given by highly experienced teachers from IIT and other reputed institutes like CMI, IMSc etc.
NPTEL Certificate courses are offered twice a year: January to June and July through December. When you register for an NPTEL course, your learning will be assessed by weekly assignments that must be submitted online within the given time frame.
NPTEL Certification Online – Online Proctored Exam
- If you want to obtain certification for the course, you will need to take a personally supervised final exam.
- Certificate exams are held in more than 130 cities in India.
- Final grades are the sum of the scores for the assignments (weighted 25%) and the final exam (weighted 75%).
- A student will only be credited if the homework average score (out of 100) > = 40 and the final test score (out of 100)= 40.
Top Rated NPTEL Courses
Aerospace engineering courses
- Aircraft design by IIT Kanpur
- IC Motors and gas turbines from IIT Guwahati
- Introduction to Aerospace Engineering by IIT Bombay
- Lighter than IIT Bombay overhead systems
- Experimental Biotechnology by IIT Guwahati
- Biomedical Nanotechnology by IIT Roorkee
- Computer Aided Drug Design by IIT Madras
- Basic Course in Number Theory from IIT Bombay
- Basic Calculus for Engineers, Scientists, and Economists by IIT Kanpur
Computer science and engineering courses
- Java Programming by IIT Kharagpur
- Database Management System of IIT Kharagpur
- Fundamentals of Artificial Intelligence by IIT Guwahati
- Introduction to Machine Learning by IIT Kharagpur
- Deep learning from IIT Kharagpur
- Google Cloud Computing Basics by IIT Kharagpur
- Fundamentals of Cloud Computing by IIT Kharagpur
- C++ Programming by IIT Kharagpur
- Data Structure and Algorithms Using Java by IIT Kharagpur
- Programming, data structures and algorithms using Python
- Big Data Computing
- Marketing Management- I by IIT Kanpur
- CRM by IIT Kanpur
- Leadership by IIT Kharagpur
- Project Management Course by IIT Kanpur
- Large online repository of courses in different disciplines.
- Over 56000 hours of video content
- 52000+ Hours of Copying Content
- Over 51,000 hours of videos with captions
- 50+ College (IITM, IITK, CMI, IMSc)
Here are some of the recent initiatives taken by NPTEL:
- Personal lab workshops to provide hands-on experience to students.
- Indoor training for toppers with course instructors
- Soft skills workshops for students to improve employability
- Translation of English texts for NPTEL video courses in 10 regional languages
NPTEL allows students to explore new areas of interest, not available in the normal college environment. The platform also allows anyone outside the IIT system to take an online NPTEL certification course and get the IIT certification. It is a great platform for those who wish to gain in-depth knowledge of various subjects from top faculty members in the country.